Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I am going to start a street sign business here

Dear Denis,

Every day, Megan and I have a destination that we want to reach, and we then spend AT LEAST four hours walking around completely and utterly lost trying to find it. The other day, we were exploring our neighborhood (Gueliz) and I was certain that we had covered most of the surrounding neighborhoods as well as we had been hitting the pavement for most of the day. We got home and I mentioned to Megs that I really felt like I had a feel for the layout of Marrakech after seeing so much of it that day.

After getting to the know the area a bit more in the last few days, I am 120% certain that we were never more then about 5 blocks from our apartment that day, we literally just made circles for a good 5 hours. We called a driver to pick us up that evening to meet some people at a Cafe we had passed earlier that day (which at the time seemed miles and miles away) and it took us 20 seconds to get there. It was 3 blocks away. The driver didn't even charge us for the ride which is unheard of here as they normally milk you for all you are worth in taxis.

Anywhooo, I blame much of our lack of direction on the fact that there are street signs about 10% of the time. You can walk like 10 blocks without seeing one and in our case, that led us in circles for an entire day. While I am not attending to my duties as the school intern, I shall start a street sign business and it will be a wild success.

Bisoux,
Julia

No comments: