Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My name is Julia and it is a pleasure to meet you.

Chere Saint Denis,



Mon petit enfant, brace yourself, there are mentions of nudity in the following letter...



There are several ways to get to know your new co-workers... The more timid might meet for lunch in the faculty lounge and swap tales of unwieldy students, perhaps the more gregarious might take the happy hour route and let loose over a few margaritas and a plate of nachos. Personally, I like to get naked with my new colleagues and allow older Moroccan women to beat the crap out of me.


So, I really should have looked into what a hammam was more carefully before accepting the invitation to go to one with several co-workers who I did not know at all. I knew a hammam was basically a Moroccan spa but you pay like 15 bucks for a few hours worth of treatments instead of the 500 you might fork over at Bliss. What I didn't know - and I realize this sounds naive - is that we all would be naked in a room together while older, slightly militant ladies ordered us around. One by one, we were picked to lie on this marble table au centre du chambre while one such spa soldier would scrub our entire bodies down, removing what seemed like an entire layer of skin. As I lay there on my stomach wincing in pain while the Spa Sargent lifted up my legs in very precarious positions to scrub, I saw bits and pieces of my dead skin falling softly from the table and the 60 year French teacher giving me a thumbs up from afar.



Don't get me wrong ... Yes, the scrub down was totes painful at the time, but the rest of the hammam experience is pretty heavenly. You leave the place feeling totally rejuvenated and your skin is beaming. I will certainly go back again and again. Though, I believe I shall stick to the nachos with the rest of my nouveaux co-workers from this point forward.



Steamed, cleansed, oiled, soaped, massaged, showered with warm then cold then warm water,

Julia



PS- I was destroyed by my 7th grade class today. They annihilated me. I almost cried.

Can't discuss for at least a week.

3 comments:

kelley said...

I don't know how to tell you this but I saw Taylor out with Matt T last night. She was wearing leggings. He had on Uggs.

MAURA said...

I'm glad we always stuck to nachos. Miss you both!

-M

Saint-Denis said...

Are you alive?...You haven't updated since Tuesday; I am too depressed to get out of bed. I wonder if it would be possible to coordinate and execute my daily activities from the bedroom; I suppose I would have to invite my seminars over, but that is a price to pay to never see the sunlight again. I need a facial, and I am thinking about purchasing a kitten.