Saturday, March 28, 2009

Day Five: I think that people are the greatest fun

Spending time alone really allows one to find out who their true friends are. These are things I have discovered:
My boss is in my top five best friends. She cooks for me and berates me for my bad choices in men. She is my Marrakesh Claire.
I have gone back and forth on this one but have decided that a phone company cannot count as a friend, even if they call/ text more in one week than any other friends have in one month. Am still borderline on this one, since they often give me free things like cell phone minutes and "points."
My sister's boyfriend is both my roommate and and my best friend, and though he is rather forced into the latter two roles, he doesn't seem to mind if it keeps sis merry. He also feeds me and berates me for my bad choices in men. We will call him my Marrakesh Thomas, except he is more fun than Thomas because he actually gives us his passwords instead of us having to sneak on his email/ phone/ facebook.
The other day I criticized the man that owns the school-supply-stand-cum-butcher-cum-phone-credit-store and brashly proclaimed that he was not part of my clique. Since he reproached the drunk crazy man that was trying to hug me yesterday and wildly gestured for me to scram, he's in the in crowd now.
Our friends Samuel and Caitlin got a puppy. #2, #3, and #4, in no respective order.
Finally, I have picked a best friend. I was similarly undecided on this one, since I think if you are paying someone to drive you around, you can be skeptical about your status as friend or just client. But Omar, my taxi driver and #1 really proved himself this week when he took me out to lunch at the most dude of all men cafés in the factory district. Ground beef, bread, tea, piece of paper for napkin. Just a couple of friends hanging out (where perhaps no other white girl has ever gone before). Over lunch he told me that my sickness (terrible reaction to Moroccan "antibiotics") was caused by not doing sports and not eating enough Kefta (ground beef). Okay. Omar is a former Moroccan boxing champion, an excellent dining companion, and a real lifestyle mentor.

Love,
Megan Marion

No comments: