Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hobbies

Dear Denny,

Mom and Dad are in France and I have the house to myself for a week! Unsure of what to do with my new found freedom this afternoon, I decided to write to you and then head to the market. We have a lovely little vegetable stand near our house and while I wouldn't say it is my favorite social activity, it certainly ranks near the top of the list. It is about a ten minute walk and I always bring along my diskman to tune out the commentary from the men driving by on scooters and because I have to pass by a high school (I think you are familiar with my perhaps irrational fear of high school students). When I get there, I am warmly greeted by one of three men that tends to the stand. There is also a guy that works in the adjoining market who I am familiar with, but I suspect he makes fun of me in Arabic when I turn around, so he is not so much a part of my social clique. First, I pick the most colorful and beautiful veggies. I always buy a cucumber and an eggplant, the latter because I feel a strange pressure from my pals that my meal wouldn't be complete sans it. I don't really like eggplant and I always fuck up when I am trying to cook it, but you have to make sacrifices in the name of friendship. I will never buy over ten of anything because I use the excursion to show of my Arabic and I only know how to count to ten. I believe Pascal, who is already confused by my near obsession for vegetables and Kit Kats, is totally dumbfounded by my extended outings and the resulting overflowing refrigerator.

Well, Denny, I must go pick up my market excursion outfit, so this is goodbye.

Lovingly,

Megan Marion

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

honey... i am so proud of your marketing and cooking skills. i hope that you poste them on your bros blog so that we might all share in your culinary delights. kachmara mama