Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Apres Ski

Hey Mr. DJ,

What wonderful news from la petite! I do miss her and Marrakech is not quite the same without her. From what I gather, there is about a 75% chance she’ll arrive at the Menara International Airport later this week. Here’s hopin!

I had a wonderful time skiing, well more accurately, tumbling down the mountain, this weekend. The views of Marrakech and the surrounding Atlas Mountains were spectacular, bla bla bla, but what I really want to talk about is the sick onesie I rented. Kelley Culp, take some notes. It was an extraordinary shade of lavender with dark purple and blue swirls everywhere. The belt was a different, but equally exceptional shade of purple, and the suit flattered my boy body in ways I’ve never seen before. Onesies are really all the rage on the slopes of Oukaimeden. The colors range from wild neon hues to more subtle pastels, but the style, fit and throw-back to the 80’s is consistent throughout. I recently cut some hideous bangs, but the way they naturally fell into a side wave, as though I had actually hair sprayed them into a solid rainbow shape, truly only enhanced my outfit. Okay, so these rad onesies are totally common, but also, skiing with lit cigarettes is pretty typical and not at all frowned upon. Considering I have problems walking and simultaneously talking, I decided not to attempt the ski smoke, no matter how cool I would look.

Den Den, the last thing I want to tell you about the slopes is that the rope lift thingy is fierce and absolutely terrifying. I had to hold on for dear life when I got on it. Like, clench my teeth and growl, hold on. About half the time, the thing violently flung me to the side and the dudes do not always stop the lift if you fall. With one ski partially secured to my boot and my face in the snow, I had to find ways to speedily finagle my tangled and debilitated body to the side so that the next skier would not actually ski over me. Anyway, my neck is rather sore but I left the mountain shockingly unscathed for all of my wipeouts. I guess we have the onesie to thank for that.

A bientot,
Julia Andrus Kelly

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Would have been a lot cooler if you smoked.

Please tell me you have photos of this experience. Curious about the "blah, blah, blah" as well as your outfit.

Megan Marion said...

I kind of like leaving the blah, blah, blah up to our imaginations.