Friday, January 23, 2009

My name is Julia Kelly and I'm an addict

Mon amour,

I’m ashamed. I am living in Africa and instead of exploring this ancient city, attempting to learn Arabic and doing the things I should do to find myself, or whatevs, I am hidden away in my bedroom, underneath the covers, indulging with no sort of moderation in my current obsession. I’m addicted to the book Twilight. Sure, I am racing through the 500 pages of this salacious teen romance that the thirteen year old on my flight was also consumed with, but there are THREE more books in this saga! I might never actually see Morocco if the author keeps this up. My friend (let’s call her Alex and say she’s from Texas) had a similar experience with this wickedly delicious and totally embarrassing vampire series for teenagers. I thought I would read a few chapters, have a good time at the airport, pass a few hours and that would be it. Nobody would get hurt. Well, thank you “Alex” for getting me hooked on this shit. All I can think about is if Bella will be able to sit with her vampire boyfriend in the cafeteria one last time before he decides to make her his next victim. This is disgusting.

I leave you with a fairly typical passage:

“Bella, will you promise me something?”

“Yes,” I said and instantly regretted my unconditional agreement. What if he asked me to stay away from him? I couldn’t keep that promise.
“Don’t go into the woods alone.”


Help me,
Julia

No comments: