Thursday, January 29, 2009

Les cours de cuisine

Dear Den,

Guess what?? Today, I made my very first tagine!! By made, I mean I mostly watched Zoubida, Pascal's cleaning lady, prepare a delicious chicken and olive tagine. However, I did take voracious notes and pictures of her every step. ZZ and I made a deal yesterday that I would pick up all of the ingredients, and she would teach me to cook a few Moroccan dishes. Her French is heavily peppered with Arabic, so it was rather difficult to understand her instructions but I think I got the gist of it. She's clearly waaaaay confused because I literally don't know how to do one thing in the kitchen and she probably had no idea till now that people like me existed. I was taking pictures of her chopping an onion because I don't even realllly know how to do that (yeah, that's right) and she was giving me this look like, what the eff are taking a picture of?? Anyway, we also managed to do a little gabbing and I learned that Zoubeeds is engaged to be engaged and has fifteen siblings and likes wide leg jeans.

Tootles,
Julia

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i hope you learned something... i want chicken and lemon tagine promptly following your return. i like that you are posting more often these days. helps with the missing you and all. xo

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. you have another ZZ in your life! i can't say i'm not jealous. but in truth, i understand. i could never make tagine for you... unless you have a liking for food poisoning. and i am confident that you do not.

glad to find you are having fun on the african continent. you are missed in nyc. happy belated jules!!
xx, (the other) ZZ