Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where is my copy of The Secret, when I need it

Hey Denny-boy,

I recently wrote a story for a magazine and received an e-mail from my editor yesterday, in which he wrote that my piece was “pretty good.” I was immediately insulted and quite upset by this very mediocre review of my work. With tears in my eyes, I grabbed my copy of The Power of Now and attempted to calm myself down through focusing on the now instead of the negative past or my false reactions, or whatever. I was really confused by the whole idea and it totally did not work. So instead, I decided to completely fixate on the e-mail and re-read his sentence like 55 times, beating myself up over the piece of crap story I turned in. I could hear his voice in my mind saying, “Julia, it was pretty good,” with the emphasis on the “pretty.” As I slipped deeper into this delirium, I suddenly changed the emphasis to “good,” so he was now saying, “Julia, it was pretty good.” Which sounds WAY better, right? Instead of “eh, that was okay,” it was now, “damn girl, that was gooooood!” So, I dunno. I’ve read the e-mail like 700 more times and am wondering if it would be okay to write him back and ask if he could possibly re-send it to me using italics or at the very least, an exclamation point or an emoticon.

Yeesh,
Julia Fantasia

1 comment:

kelley said...

people at magazines are lame.

domino mag just folded.

cant wait to see your face.